We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The role of society in front of a child with an ocular disability is extremely important for the child to feel integrated, considered and respected. A child with a disability, if well cared for, educated, and accepted, will be able to do the same things as any other child, only in a different way.
The attitude of respect must start from the moment the disability is detected. Do not limit your possibilities for the simple reason that the child has a difficulty. On the contrary, he must be encouraged and shown the ways in which he can do what he wants.
Education is very important in these cases to live with autonomy. It would not be advisable for a blind child to cross a street without first having received the proper training in road mobility classes. But it would be worse to think that this blind child could never cross a street by himself. The awareness of reinforcing a blind child so that he can achieve what a child without disabilities achieves must be present in all corners of society, at home, at school, in streets, parks, etc. In this way we will be giving you the opportunity to be and feel productive within society.
A functionally blind person is one who does not see anything (totally blind) or who only has a perception of light or other flashes. The causes of this disability lie in:
- Diseases of hereditary origin: such as congenital cataracts, renitis, degenerative myopia, etc.
- Diseases of congenital origin: atrophy of the optic nerve, loss of visual acuity, rubella during pregnancy.
- Traumatic origin disorders: in the retina, excessive administration of oxygen in the incubator, diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachment.
- Disorders produced by tumors, viruses or toxins: tumor in the retina, inflammation and degeneration of the optic nerve.
Skin sensitivity, the ability to touch, and hearing are abilities that must be stimulated and developed by a blind child. Through these sensations, the child will be able to know his space. The ear, for example, enables the child to differentiate sounds, locate and detect obstacles, and identify people and objects. Regarding the chemical senses, taste and smell, there are no related studies. The objective of the education of a blind baby is to achieve his maturation and development according to his possibilities. The role of parents is important. They should consider that:
- They should encourage the baby's exploration of the different parts of his body.
- They should not impede motor activity for fear of falls.
- The development of touch and hearing is important for the child to perceive sounds and discover where they come from.
- They should encourage the baby's preverbal behaviors (smiling, crying ...).
- They must stimulate exploration of the environment, assigning words to objects.
- They should help the child to develop activities of daily life such as picking up a bottle, pacifier, using cutlery, dressing and undressing himself, indicating when to urinate, etc.
It is necessary to know that in the first months of life, the development of a blind child is similar to that of a sighted. From the fourth month of life, the differences are more evident. For a blind baby, people exist through the sounds they make. Between 7 and 9 months, the blind baby begins to look for objects that they already know. And between 9 and 12 months, they know how to look for the object where they left it.
As for the postural and motor development of blind babies, it is usually almost the same as that of sighted babies. Only crawling is delayed, which is between 12 and 13 months, and walking until 19 months. Language acquires a fundamental role in the blind child, mainly to access specific operations. If a blind child does not receive affection or environmental stimulation, he can become a passive child, unable to cope according to environmental situations, he will feel inferior, and deficient in his body image.
You can read more articles similar to Blind children and babies, in the category of Vision on site.